CDS Query Process

HM Revenue and Customs is introducing the new Customs Declaration Service (CDS), to replace the existing Customs Handling of Import and Export Freight (CHIEF) system.

HMRC want to fully support your CDS preparations, and this means making it as easy as possible for you to raise your queries and to ensure you receive prompt and relevant solutions.

Some people have had difficulties channelling enquiries through the dedicated HMRC mailbox, sometimes questions have not been responded to quickly enough. HMRC have updated their internal response processes accordingly.

The HMRC frontline IT technical and policy subject matter experts have been working at pace to progress CDS against programme delivery timelines, and at times this has meant prioritising this activity to ensure they stay on track. Of the 2,600+ questions received to date, nearly 2,500 (94%) have been answered. They intend to respond to the remaining 6% as quickly as possible.

All general enquiries should continue to be routed through HMRC dedicated Software Developers Support Team mailbox. This is closely monitored during business hours, with a robust triage system in place meaning all correspondence is appropriately filtered. This allows questions to be answered by the correct team.

Should you have priority or urgent queries that impact your development progress, these should be escalated to your HMRC Business Relationship Manager – they will support the end-to-end resolution process on your behalf.

Using these channels means HMRC can respond to you quickly and effectively. It also means responses are consistent and accurate, something which cannot be guaranteed if other informal routes are used.

As always, for more information about the Customs Declaration Service, please visit GOV.UKwww.gov.uk/customsdeclarationservice

Back to news

We use cookies on this site to improve your experience. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. You will only see this message once. Find out more

close