Businesses Need to Register with Customs to trade with the EU

Businesses that trade with the EU and are not already registered for customs should:

  • Register for a UK Economic Operator Registration and Identification (EORI) number;
  • Decide whether they will use a customs agent to make import and/or export declarations or will make the declarations themselves using specialist software; and
  • Contact the organisation that moves their goods (for example, a haulage firm) to find out if they will need to supply additional information to complete safety and security declarations, or whether they will need to submit these declarations themselves.

Traders should now, or will very soon, see letters on their doorsteps. Please help HMRC share no deal messaging with other traders, and especially businesses that are not VAT-registered, for which HMRC not have automatic means to contact.

EORI Registration

Back to news

We use cookies on this site to improve your experience. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. You will only see this message once. Find out more